If you like pepppermint, this cake will knock your socks off. It's minty, fudgy, and full of delicious flavor. Amazingly, it's also low fat and completely IBS safe! This recipe is from the cookbook "Eating for IBS" by the wonderful Heather Van Vorous. You can also substitute almond extract for the peppermint for a different taste experience, or just leave out the second extract completely and double the vanilla! This is great with a chocolate or mocha glaze (see my mocha mint glaze!).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract (I actually prefer it with 2 tsp, so you may want to start there)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 10 inch bundt pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, cornstarch, sugar, and salt in large bowl; whisk together well.
- Whisk together applesauce, oil, vanilla, and peppermint extract by hand in medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry with a few swift strokes just until blended.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool on rack.