Recipe by Soup Lady
I adapted this recipe from one I found in a magazine at Christmas time. They are delicious and a very festive dessert for holiday parties! You can use any boxed chocolate cake mix, I just listed my favorite. Just be sure to follow the directions on the box of whatever brand you use. Allow extra time for cooling the cupcakes.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
I had lots of peppermint hard candy so I used those instead of candy canes to make these cupcakes. They were so good! The entire family enjoyed them. Can't wait for the holiday sales. Looks like we'll be buying lots of candy canes this year!
- 12 candy canes
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxof duncan hines moist deluxe devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the candy canes in a food processor or blender and grind to a fine powder.
- Line two muffin pans (12 cups each) with cupcake liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend dry cake mix, water, oil, eggs, and peppermint extract in a mixing bowl at low speed for 30 seconds, beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in 1/4 cup of the candy cane powder, reserving the rest.
- Divide batter among muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after stuck into the center.
- Once cupcakes are removed from oven cool them completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling, stir remaining candy cane powder into the vanilla frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and enjoy, or store in an airtight container.