Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a truly South African desert. It is sweet, and not for dieters, but is heaven on a plate. I have memories of my mom making this for birthday parties and all sorts. I have adapted the ingredients for the UK. Cooking time includes boiling caramel and setting time.
- 300 g malted milk biscuits
- 350 g condensed milk or 350 g ready made caramel condensed milk
- 500 ml double cream
- 300 g peppermint chocolate, grated
- (The amounts are just estimates. Generally I'd say 1 packet biscuits, 1 slab peppermint chocolate and 1 tin condensed milk, and 500 ml cream but 'Zaar doesn't accept those quantities.).
- Place the condensed milk in a pot of water and boil for three hours. Allow to cool completely.
- Grate the chocolate, keeping some separate for topping.
- Place the biscuits (tennis biscuits if you can find, otherwise malted milk biscuits or similar) in a shallow glass dish.
- Beat the double cream till it is stiff, then add the grated chocolate and caramelised condensed milk and stir in gently. If you beat it again, the cream will fall flat and won't set properly.
- Spoon a layer of the cream mixture on to the milk biscuits, then add another layer of biscuits, topped again with the cream. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times, depending on the depth of your dish.
- Finish with the cream mixture and sprinkle with chocolate.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to set, and keep refrigerated.
Very tasty and easy to make. Will make it again and again. Thanks for posting.
Easy to make, wonderful to taste, a really easy winner...
This is a rich, creamy, highly naughty dessert that should be outlawed in diet circles world wide. In short, WOW! My DH doesn't like peppermint candies at all and I even got a "pretty good" out of him.I used the caramel instead of the sweet milk and loved that result. Thanks Lushka for this very good dessert.