Recipe by Kim127
I make these every Christmas. They have a wonderful peppermint flavor and are simple to make. They end up as round cookies that are split into three colors. Very festive! Be careful storing them, they will make all other cookies taste like peppermint if stored together. Chilling time is not included.
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) package sugar cookie mix (and the ingredients needed for that type of cookie mix, usually egg, oil and water)
- 3 -4 drops green food coloring
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the ingredient for the sugar cookie mix, following the package instructions.
- Divide the dough into three equal portions.
- To the fist portion, add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and mix well.
- To the second portion, add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and the green food coloring (to make dough as light or dark green as you like).
- To the third portion, add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and the red food coloring (to make dough as light or dark red/pink as you like).
- Roll each portion into a 12-inch long roll (about 1/2 inch thick).
- You will end up with a couple different rolls of each color.
- Lay 1 pink roll beside 1 green roll; press together slightly.
- Place 1 plain roll on top.
- Press rolls together to form a tricolor roll; wrap in wax paper.
- Repeat for remaining rolls.
- Refrigerate wrapped rolls for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll wrapped cookie dough lightly to make sure edges are sealed and the dough is a round roll.
- Cut chilled roll into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- (Keep unused dough in refrigerator; its much easier to cut when cold).
- Bake for about 7-8 minutes or until set, but not yet brown.
- Let sit on cookie sheets for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.