Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
Perfect for that cookie swap you may want to join, or just a delightful addition to your holiday platter if goodies.
Top Review by PetesNina
These are a wonderful little cookie. I love making them with my kids and husband. They are great with finely chopped walnuts in place of the candy canes, too. I usually don't stress butter or margarine, but in these cookies make sure to use butter. It really makes all the difference.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 cup peppermint candy, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt in small bowl: set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat butter and sugar till fluffy; stir in vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Refrigerate dough for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 3" wands; arrange on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 350 for 10-12 minutes; cool completely on wire racks.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening together in small pan.
- Dip one end of each wand into chocolate; place on wax paper-lined sheets.
- Sprinkle dipped ends with crushed candies.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes to set.
- Time indicated does not include chill time.