Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is super easy and very cheap to make. It tastes surprisingly rich given the small amount of oil/butter. This is a great all-purpose cake, and could be used for birthdays, lunchboxes, or a midnight snack! Feel free to vary the essence... I have tried orange essence, coffee essence, cherry essence and also just plain vanilla.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well for about 2 minutes.
- Pour butter into a greased cake tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Do not overbake, as it can dry out.
- Leave to cool in tin before slicing.
Wow! Easy and really, really good! Instead of self-rising flour, I used 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder + 1/2 teaspoon salt and baked it at 350F for 40 minutes. I used a bread-loaf pan and it colapsed a little in the middle, but I don't know enough about baking to know what that means. Operator error, I presume. Great taste and I'm looking forward to trying it with orange extract! mmmmmmm...orange and chocolate.... Reviewed for Pick-A-Chef.