Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Great for the holidays.
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups creme de menthe baking chips (from two 10-ounce bags)
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease bottom and sides of 13x9 inch pan with shortening or cooking spray (do not use dark pan).
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat baking chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 of the eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Into chocolate mixture, stir remaining 2 cups sugar, remaining 4 eggs and the peppermint extract.
- Stir in flour and salt until well-mixed.
- Spread half of chocolate batter in pan.
- Drop cream cheese filling by teaspoonfuls over batter.
- Carefully spoon and spread remaining batter over filling.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle evenly with baking chips.
- Cool completely about 1 hour-30 minutes.
- For brownies, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows.
- Store in refrigerator.