Recipe by evelyn/athens
Peppermint and chocolate are an inspired combination. I make these wonderful brownies with After Eight Dinner Mints because that's the brand available here, I expect any good quality chocolate-mint candy will do nicely.
Top Review by AmbyDawn
I had some difficulties baking these brownies with consistency. Though I followed instructions and cooked at indicated temp. I found that the top layer was a little charred by the time the inside was done. ?? They were pretty good, just not pretty, once I pulled off the top layer. Will hopefully give it another go soon, as I love peppermints!
- 24 after eight dinner chocolate-covered mint candies
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup good-quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour a 13 X 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; blend well.
- Reserve 2 cups batter.
- Spread remaining batter in prepared pan.
- Arrange the dinner mints 1/2 inch apart in single layer over batter.
- Spread reserved 2 cups batter over the mints.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into squares.