Recipe by nicoleingermantown
I think this is from Southern Living, I plan to add this to my cookie platter this Christmas.
Top Review by Messy44
YUM! These were our favorite new cookie this Christmas! Easy to make and super chocolately with lots of peppermint flavor. I chose to drizzle with melted white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy cane mixed with a bit of red decorator sugar. They were extra pretty, very easy and added a nice flare to my trays. Highly recommend this recipe - I am filing it in the Christmas cookie keeper file. Thanks for Sharing Nicole. ~Messy44
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed hard peppermint candy
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- additional coarsely crushed hard peppermint candy, divided
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons milk (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate morsel, melted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan; cook over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/2 cup crushed peppermint and 6 tablespoons sugar. Let cool 30 minutes.
- Add eggs to melted chocolate, 1 at a time, stirring well. Stir in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in chocolate morsels. Cover and chill dough 2 hours or until firm enough to shape.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2" balls; place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and cracked on top. Sprinkle coarsely crushed peppermints onto cookies; press candy lightly into cookies. Let cookies cool 5 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over cooled cookies, if desired. Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired. Sprinkle cookies again with chopped peppermint, if desired. Let cookies stand until glaze and chocolate are firm.