Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For all peppermint lovers! Only the crust is baked for this recipe.
Top Review by Messy44
Can't believe I get to be first reviewer for one of Kittencal's recipes! An honor. This is chocolate peppermint nirvana. Love at first bite. I made a double recipe in a 15x10 jelly roll pan and it worked fine. Bottom is a bit like a fudgy brownie. Next time I may try baking the bottom a bit longer to firm it up. Chill completely before cutting. I will be keeping these cold. GREAT for Christmas! Thanks for another winer, Kitten. ~ Messy
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream, unwhipped or 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 4 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (can use about 1/2 cup semi-sweet baking chips also)
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For the base: set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease one 9 x 9-inch or 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring once or twice, (careful not to burn the mixture).
- Place the chocolate mixture in a bowl, and cool slightly.
- Add in the eggs; beat well to combine.
- Add in sugar, peppermint extract, flour and salt; beat well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- For the middle layer: mix sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; mix well until blended.
- Spread over the warm baked base; cool until set.
- For the topping: Melt together the chocolate and butter in the microwave; cool slightly.
- Drizzle over second layer.