1 hr 45 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
A delicious marbled angel food cake with a pretty pink icing. A yummy cake for any holiday table or just anytime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Cake
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour or 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
For the Pink Peppermint Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2For the Cake: Place the 12 egg whites in a very large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 3Sift confectioners' sugar and flour together 3 times.
- 4Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- 5Gradually add 1 cup granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- 6Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat sifting and folding in the remaining flour mixture three more times, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time.
- 7Divide batter in half.
- 8Fold extract and food coloring into one half.
- 9Alternately spoon pink and white batters into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- 10Gently cut through batter with a knife, swirling gently.
- 11Bake cake on the lowest rack in the preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- 12Immediately invert the cake in the pan, standing the tube pan on its legs or resting the center tube over a tall-necked bottle. Cool thoroughly.
- 13Remove cake from pan.
- 14Frost with Pink Peppermint Frosting when cake has cooled thoroughly.
- 15Serve at room temperature.
- 16Store any leftover cake in refrigerator.
- 17For the Pink Peppermint Frosting: Place the 2 egg whites in a bowl.
- 18Let stand 30 minutes.
- 19In a 2-quart saucepan mix the 2/3 cup granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Boil gently, without stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 20Beat egg whites using an electric mixer at medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tip curl).
- 21Slowly add hot syrup to egg whites, pouring in a steady stream, while beating.
- 22Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form (tips stand straight).
- 23Beat in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and enough red food coloring to tint frosting pink.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppermint Angel Food Cake
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 64.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 38.7 g
- Protein 5.1 g