3 hrs 20 mins
Like Pepperidge Farm's Milano cookies? Me too! A wonderful homemade alternative to the expensive but yummy cookies. Prep time includes refrigeration and all times are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toast almonds- spread on baking sheet and insert in preheated 350*F oven, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until nuts are lightly toasted to pale golden brown Process almonds in food processor with the 3 tbs of sugar until almonds are finely ground.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Sift the flour, baking powder and salt onto a sheet of wax paper or into a bowl.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Cream butter with remaining 3/4 cups sugar until mixture is light in colour and texture (at least 3 minutes).
- 6Beat egg and almond extract;then the almond mixture into to butter mixture until just smooth.
- 7On a low speed, beat in flour mixture until just smooth.
- 8Cover dough tightly in plastic wrap.
- 9Refrigerate at least 2 hours (or until well chilled) or up to 5 days.
- 10Position racks in oven to center and top third of oven and preheat to 350*F.
- 11Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly butter them.
- 12Portion dough into 80 pieces, about 1 tsp each.
- 13Roll into balls.
- 14(I have heard that you can put two bits of dough in one hand and roll them into 2 balls between your palms, which will cut your rolling time in half.) Place balls about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- 15Do not crowd.
- 16It is likely that 3 sheets will be needed to bake all of the cookies.
- 17Bake, switching the position of the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after about 5-6 minutes.
- 18Cook another 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned all over.
- 19Let cookies cool on the sheets for about 3 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and cool completely.
- 20Melt chocolate (a double boiler is recommended, but any method is fine).
- 21Spread about 1/2 tsp on the underside of a cookie, then lightly sandwich between another cookie.
- 22Alternatively-a parchment cone can be filled with melted chocolate and the chocolate can be piped onto cookies before being sandwiched.
- 23Refrigerate cookies breifly to set chocolate, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for some time.
- 24**Fora fancier cookie** Lightly brush each cookie with an egg glaze (beat 1 egg+ 1 tsp water) and top with a few sliced almonds before baking.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepperidge Farms Milano Cookie Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.8
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.3 mg
- Sodium 35.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 1.5 g