Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe on here as #97692. I love these cookies and have made them quite a few times since then. Here's the recipe & instructions revised a bit for making the job easier. This can also be made using splenda for baking to cut down on sugar intake and works extremely well.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (although if you want to make cookie cutter shapes, have an extra cup on hand)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- red sugar crystals (optional) or powdered sugar, to decorate. (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream together sugars, shortening, molasses, eggs, and vanilla & beat with a mixer until smooth & uniform.
- Add remaining dry ingredients (except decoration items), scraping the bowl as you go.
- If you choose to make round drop cookies, use the batter as is and scoop out with a TBSP cookie scoop onto greased pan, about 2-3 inches apart.
- If you want to make cookie cutter shapes, add extra flour to the bowl 1/4 cup at a time until dough is stiff and clears the side of the bowl. Roll out on a heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thick & cut with the cutters. Then place onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. (These bake best with only one or two sheets in at a time. If you are making a lot, use two "shifts" of two cookies sheets.).
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. This will prevent the bottom of your cookies from sinking through the spaces in the rack.
- Sprinkle with decorative sugar while still slightly warm.
This is my first time making these. I was happy to find a ginger cookie that was a drop recipe vs rolled. And they are superb. Pretty darn close to Pepperidge Farms. And I am so glad because they are so expensive and I can down an entire bag without thinking about it. I will deffenantly be making them again real soon.
This is the first time making these cookies, it's surely isn't going to be the last. They went so fast that I had to make more. I'm giving it four stars only because I didn't get to taste them.