Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 mins
Terrific appetizer from Bon Appetit.
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder (horseradish powder)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lb fresh tuna steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 28 large slice pickled ginger
- wooden skewer (28 skewers, 4-inch long)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons wasabi powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons water in small bowl to blend. Whisk in 1/2 cup mayonnaise. Cover wasabi mayonnaise and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
- Combine tuna and soy sauce in medium bowl; toss to coat. Marinate tuna 30 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, thread 1 ginger slice onto each skewer 2 inches from tip.
- Line platter with watercress. Place bowl of wasabi mayonnaise on platter. Drain tuna; pat dry. Return to medium bowl. Sprinkle with pepper; toss to coat. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tuna and sear until browned on all sides but still pink inside, about 2 minutes total. Thread 1 tuna cube onto each prepared skewer next to ginger. Arrange skewers on platter and serve.