Recipe by Manami
Have made these for many years! When my kids were growing up I used a cheaper cut of meat (just marinated it in olive oil overnight)served with roquefort cheese, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms, and peppers make for a juicy meal.
- 2 (3/4 lb) boneless strip steaks (about 3/4 pound each)
- cracked black pepper
- 1 baguette
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 lb Roquefort cheese
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds (about 1-1/2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (optional) or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- CARAMELIZED ONIONS:.
- Make these first as they take longer.
- Heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions, and cook until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper; raise heat slightly, and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, is using, and serve warm.
- Put in the oven on 200ºF to keep them warm while preparing and cooking steaks.
- Trim excess fat from steaks.
- Dry them well, coat all sides with cracked pepper, and refrigerate until needed.
- Split baguette in half lengthwise.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and rub lightly with garlic clove.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat, and sear the steaks on both sides.
- Turn heat down to medium, and cook to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Sprinkle with salt, and let steaks sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut toasted baguette into four equal pieces.
- Make four sandwiches, placing thinly sliced steak atop slices of Roquefort, then sprinkling with caramelized onions and rosemary.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with some nice wine!