Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Peppered Steak with Mushrooms
Make and share this Peppered Steak With Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- Put the steak on a board and cut off all the hard fat. Cut the steak in half to give 2 portions - each should weigh about 140g by the time you've trimmed off the fat. Put the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and pound until coarsely ground. Stir in the salt.
- Pour a teaspoon of the oil into a small dish or eggcup, dip the end of a pastry brush in the oil and brush the steaks on both sides. Coat the steaks generously with the pepper and salt mixture.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on a grill pan lined with foil, cut side up. Season the tomatoes with a little ground black pepper, then cook under a preheated hot grill for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Pour the remaining oil into a small non-stick frying pan. Place over a high heat and stir-fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Make sure you keep the heat up high so they get some lovely colour. Tip the mushrooms into a bowl and return the pan to a medium-high heat.
- Put the steaks in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or according to taste. Two minutes on each side should give you a medium-rare steak.
- Put the steaks on warmed plates and leave them to rest. Return the mushrooms to the pan and warm through over a high heat. Dissolve the stock in the just-boiled water and add to the pan, stirring constantly to lift the sediment and juices from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the creme fraiche, mustard, and wine, if using, and stir together for 1-2 minutes until the sauce is hot and has thickened slightly. Spoon the mushrooms and sauce over the steaks and serve with the grilled tomatoes and a large, lightly dressed salad.