Recipe by mersaydees
From Sarah Ainley’s book, The World’s Best Recipes, Caribbean section. “This dish would be perfect for supper, served on a bed of noodles or with boiled plantains.” Prep time doesn’t include 30 minutes marinating time.
Top Review by Debbie R.
I had to make this pretty bland because my husband doesn't like spicy food and the jerk seasoning I picked up definitely had a bite to it. It was very easy and fast to make. ZWT9
- 680.38 g steak
- 4.92 ml caribbean jerk seasoning
- 29.58 ml butter
- 6-8 shallots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 118.29 ml sherry wine
- 44.37 ml water
- 73.94 ml light cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- plantain, cooked, to serve
- fresh chives, chopped, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the meat into thin strips, discarding any fat or gristle.
- Sprinkle the meat with pepper and spice seasoning and set aside to marinate in a cool place for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the meat for 4-5 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the pan, fry gently for a few minutes, then add the sherry and water and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream.
- Reduce heat and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the meat and heat until hot but not boiling. Serve with plantain and garnish with chives.