Recipe by The Flying Chef
This is a lovely recipe it is easy to make and the sauce goes so well with the steaks. I have not cooked steaks a lot recently as they have put the price of fillet up so much at the grocery store. I found some the other day that was still the same price as usual so I thought I would have a treat. Iserved mine with Low-Carb Fauxtatoes/Cauliflower Deluxe by mersaydees and it was the perfect low carb accompaniment.
- 4 beef steak fillets (I am guessing mine were about 250g a piece so whatever weight you prefer, just note that cooking tim)
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- 6 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 80 ml Bourbon
- 60 ml water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons beef stock granules (depending on brand you use)
- 3 teaspoons French mustard (not quite as strong as a Dijon)
- 300 ml cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornflour (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub beef all over with pepper.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, sear beef a couple of minutes on each side, cook for a further 5 Min's a side. If cooking an average size steak this will be a medium rare-medium. Cook less for thinner steaks. If your steaks are really thick like mine I cooked in the oven an additional 15 Min's for medium rare. Just judge cooking time according to your personal taste and how you like your meat done.
- Heat a little more olive oil in a pan and cook shallots and garlic, stirring, until shallots soften.
- Add bourbon, stir, add water, stock, mustard, cream, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, mix a little water with the cornflour and add to sauce, stir until mixture thickens, serve sauce over steak.