Recipe by Dona England
This recipe is so versatile. Sometimes I use mixed greens instead of spinach or leave out the chicken. Easy to adapt to your taste.
- 2 bunches spinach, washed and stemmed
- 1 small white onion, sliced thin
- 1 ounce canned pineapple chunks in juice (reserve juice)
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon course ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the pecans.
- For the peppered pecans combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Heat heavy skillet.
- Add pecans and stir, heating one minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar/salt/pepper mixture into the skillet. Stir one minutes. Add the remaining sugar mixtures and continue to stir until melted.
- Remove nuts and put onto oiled cookie sheet.
- Let cool and package tightly.
- Make the dressing.
- Combine 1/2 cup salad oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon pineapple juce.
- Make the salad.
- Combine spinach, onion, pineapple, blue cheese, and chicken
- sprinkle with peppered pecans.
- Combine with dressing.