Recipe by Starblaze
Coat the kasha with egg first to preserve texture (not have mushy cereal) Add lots of mushrooms, onions, and pepper for a NY style Kasha. Buckwheat is not related to wheat and is gluten-free.
- 2 cups buckwheat groats
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups broth, brought to a boil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (or half oil and half butter)
- 2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 2 -3 onions (cut in medium pieces, about the same size as the mushrooms)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Add kasha and stir until every grain is well coated with egg. Place in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the egg drys and the groats separate. Some of the groats may stick together and/or brown slightly.
- Pour boiling broth over the kasha. Mix in salt and pepper and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until the kasha has absorbed all liquid. Remove from heat.
- In a skillet, heat the oil on a medium flame. Saute the chopped onions and sliced mushrooms until cooked. Add the onions and mushrooms to the pot of kasha, and adjust salt and pepper to taste.