Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is adapted from a recipe in Simply Classic, a junior league cookbook. The 8 hour marinating time is really required to make this flank steak delicious. Marinating time is not included in prep and cooking time.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs flank steaks
- fresh thyme sprigs or fresh rosemary sprig
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well.
- Place the steak in a large heavy-duty, zip lock bag. Pour the marinade over the steaks; seal the bag securely. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade, discarding marinade. Cook, covered with grill lid, over medium-hot coals for 7 to 8 minutes on each side or to desired degree if doneness.
- To serve, slice the steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Garnish, if desired.
WOW!!! This is so good!! I really wasn't expecting to think this would be a favorite recipe for this year, but it is!! I made this as written, although scaled back for 3/4 lb, and skipped the rosemary (not a fan what so ever of it). I made the marinade, added the steak and then put it all in the freezer until the next afternoon. I then brought it to room temp prior to grilling. The combination of the vinegar, green onion, thyme, pepper and mustard is so good and flavorful. This is a recipe that will definitely be used in the future. I served it with some grilled onions, salad and garlic bread. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe. Congrats on your win in the football pool!!
So I made an hour drive to Chicago last week, to get my months worth of meat, at a wholesale place including 5 pounds of these steaks. The only thing I did was used 1 tablespoon pepper, and 3 cloves. Cooked these medium, and very enjoyable. The marinade is above great, very good, as I marinated them for about 6 hours. Made for your win in Football Pool.
Enjoyed this full flavored Certified Angus Beef flank steak, even though it didn't marinade as long as suggested. It got gobbled up so quickly, I almost missed snapping a photo of it!