This is adapted from a recipe in Simply Classic, a junior league cookbook. The 8 hour marinating time is really required to make this flank steak delicious. Marinating time is not included in prep and cooking time.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs flank steaks
- fresh thyme sprigs or fresh rosemary sprig
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well.
- Place the steak in a large heavy-duty, zip lock bag. Pour the marinade over the steaks; seal the bag securely. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade, discarding marinade. Cook, covered with grill lid, over medium-hot coals for 7 to 8 minutes on each side or to desired degree if doneness.
- To serve, slice the steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Garnish, if desired.
So I made an hour drive to Chicago last week, to get my months worth of meat, at a wholesale place including 5 pounds of these steaks. The only thing I did was used 1 tablespoon pepper, and 3 cloves. Cooked these medium, and very enjoyable. The marinade is above great, very good, as I marinated them for about 6 hours. Made for your win in Football Pool.
Enjoyed this full flavored Certified Angus Beef flank steak, even though it didn't marinade as long as suggested. It got gobbled up so quickly, I almost missed snapping a photo of it!