Prep 7 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Part of a holiday buffet? Appetizer? Entree? Sandwich fodder? Great for all. This can be whatever you want. A very different taste. Eye of round is notoriously dry but this one isn't. 24-hour marinade time not included in prep time. Adapted from La Bonne Cuisine Cookbook, appetizer, page 12. 5/92
- 4 lbs eye of round roast
- garlic powder
- black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce (yes, use it all)
- 3 garlic cloves
- Generously cover the meat with garlic powder (yes, powder!) With a small knife pierce the entire surface of the meat and stuff each hole with a peppercorn.
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the remaining ingredients (here's the REAL garlic!) Put all in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Put roast and marinade in crock pot and cook on low all day. Comes out tender and not dry.
- For appetizer, slice very thin and serve, hot or cold, with sliced baguette and a wonderful mustard. Or horseradish sauce. Great for a holiday buffet.
- Marinade makes good gravy; strain first, then thicken slightly.
We loved this roast. We decided to make this last minute for Christmas dinner since we were not traveling. Turned out GREAT. I marinated it for 2 days - the roast was very flavorful!
Great roast beef! Have been marinating eye of round, freezing ready to have on hand for those days when I want a special roast - this recipe looked to be just what I was wanting. Made as posted for a wonderful peppered eye of round superior to the pricey prepared ones. We all gave this one the thumbs up. It will be one I will make when ever I am wanting a really great peppered roast.Thank you Jezski.