Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Goes great with Crisco's Super Crisp Country Fried Chicken.
- 2 tablespoons chicken drippings
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons chicken drippings from skillet. Leave brown particles in skillet. Add flour. Stir on medium heat until browned. Add salt and pepper. Stir in milk.
- Bring to boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add a little more milk, if gravy is too thick, Serve hot, unstrained.
- Tip: Adding a cold liquid to a hot Crisco and flour base, then stirring until it comes to a boil guarantees a smooth sauce. There will be some tasty, crunchy bits in this gravy, however -- the fried particles from the pan.
I had some leftover turkey meatballs that needed some gravy, and this was perfect. Since I didn't have chicken drippings, I used a combo of butter/olive oil and a little chicken bouillon powder. Worked great. The meatballs were full of spices, so I wanted a milder gravy and the pepper was just the right flavor.
great gravy! The chicken drippings really add lots of flavor. Thanks looneytunesfan for sharing. Made for Cookbook Tag.
Delicious Gravy. Served this with your Crisco chicken #163949. Will make the chicken and gravy again. Thanks looneytunesfan. Bullwinkle.