Recipe by English_Rose
Served warm with soup these rolls will become a regular! Wrap dampers in a clean tea towel to keep them warm for up to 30 minutes. You could replace the pepper with sea salt and rosemary, and the camembert with grated tasty cheese.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 ounces camembert cheese, chopped
- 3 ounces butter, melted, cooled
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease two baking trays. Sift flour and 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl.
- Stir in pepper and camembert. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine butter, 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup water in a jug. Pour into well. Using a flat-bladed knife, mix until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten slightly. Place on baking trays, allowing room for spreading. Brush tops with remaining milk. Using a small, sharp knife, make 3 slits in the top of each damper.
- Bake dampers for 12 to 15 minutes, swapping trays after 8 minutes, or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm.