Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very simple, but full of flavor. This is one of my favorite ways to prepare steak. I got this one from Light and Tasty.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large red onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 (4 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray; add the onions. Cook and stir over medium heat for 25-30 mutes or until tender and browned. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, vinegar and sugar. Remove and keep warm.
- Combine the pepper, thyme and remaining salt; rub over steaks. In the same skillet cook steaks for 4-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145 degrees; medium, 160 degrees; well-done, 170 degrees). Serve with onions.