1/4 Photos of Peppercorn Salisbury Steak Deluxe
1 hr 10 mins
Peppercorn coated patties for a traditional twist with a gourmet taste. Parsley and black pepper are two of the most complimentary seasonings for beef. Do not make them too thick. Choose either a caramelized onion or mushroom topping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground sirloin or 1 lb ground round
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns (to taste for patty exterior)
- 1 large onion, sliced thin (OR mushrooms, see next ingredient)
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (OR onion above, to prepare the mushrooms wipe each with a damp towel, do not run under water)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cold water mixed with 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1With a light hand, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Shape into 4 patties, about 3/4 inches thick.
- 2Press crushed peppercorns evenly onto the exterior of both sides of the patty to adhere.
- 3In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter then add onions or mushrooms. Saute onions approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Mushrooms caramelize in about 10-15 minutes. These can be seasoned with salt once cooked. Remove from skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- 4Place patties in same skillet and brown, approximately 5 minutes per side. (Tip: Do not move the patties for a few minutes. Do not press down because this squeezes the juices out and makes them dry. When they are browned on one side, flip them over and brown the opposite side. Don't worry about cooking through.).
- 5Add broth to pan, reducing heat to low, cover and simmer 10 - 15 minutes. Remove patties from skillet, keeping warm.
- 6Bring liquid to a boil. Add water/cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Return patties to the skillet, flipping to coat with gravy then topping each evenly with reserved caramelized onions or mushrooms. Heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peppercorn Salisbury Steak Deluxe
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.5
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 127.8 mg
- Sodium 1221.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 28.5 g