Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I went searching for this after having fallen in love with it at Del Frisco's steakhouse. This recipe came from the Food Network, but I tweaked it a bit to make it easier!
- Put about 1 tablespoon of steak grease (if you don't have any yet, I used bacon grease I had in the fridge and it worked just fine) in the bottom of a pan.
- Add shallots and minced garlic to pan and sautee in grease for 1 - 2 minutes, until softened.
- Deglaze with cognac, scraping up bits which cling to the skillet.
- Add beef broth and pepper corns, bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine heavy cream and starch, mix together.
- Whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce and simmer until lightly thickened.
- Whisk in mustard, and pour remaining steak juices from the plate they are resting on into your pan!
WOW! This is as good as my mother's gravy...maybe even better. It really dresses a steak up. I used 1/2 and 1/2 and it worked just fine!
Playing "New Kid on the Block" game and chose this recipe. It was so creamy and great depth of flavor, very different from my regular gravy. I served with Chicken instead of steak so did use chicken stock - but sure it would be good either way. Trouble is - DH usually makes the gravy in this house but after I made this and he tried it - he says now I'll have to do it from now on as this is so much better. We'll have to see about that, maybe I just need to give him this recipes :rofl: