Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The depth of flavour of the peppercorns contrasts beautifully with the tuna. This is a tuna version of pepper steak. From the LCBO magazine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (8 ounce) tuna steaks (250 g)
- 2 tablespoons cracked peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup veal stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Rub 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil onto tuna steaks all over and coat top with peppercorns and salt.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add tuna peppercorn-side up.
- Fry for 2 minutes, flip and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on thickness of fish.
- Remove tuna from pan and transfer onto serving plates.
- The fish should be rare. If you like it more cooked, fry another 2 minutes.
- Add red wine to skillet over high heat and reduce until 2 tbsp (25 mL) remain.
- Add balsamic vinegar and stock and reduce until 1/2 cup (125 mL) remains.
- Add cream and boil just until sauce begins to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce around tuna.
YUM! I couldn't find tuna so got mahi mahi, it's pretty close(I think). I scaled the recipe down for one. I really enjoyed every bite! I used turkey stock, and instead of cream, used whole milk. Thanks! :lol: