Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a real favourite, I buy the beef filet when its on sale and freeze it just to make this recipe.
- 2 filet of beef (about 3lb each)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives
- Tie beef with a string to hold together during cooking, and place in a shallow dish.
- Add red wine, oil, garlic, bay leaves, and onion; leave to marinate for several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour off 2 cups of the marinade and discard.
- Place beef in oven with remaining marinade and bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until cooked as desired.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, remove the string and roll in the cracked peppercorns.
- Horseradish Mayonnaise----------------------ð« .
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- At serving time, slice beef and serve with the mayonnaise drizzled overtop.
We shared this tonight with our neighbours, and it was delicious. I didn't really read the recipe, and thought I could serve it hot-which I did. It was wonderful served with the mayo spooned over it, and gravy passed around. We ate it with roasted potatoes and root vegies, and steamed greens. I'm so glad there is left-over mayo!
Pretty good recipe. I thought the onion flavor overpowered the marinade, but I suppose that could depend on what type of onion you use and what kind of wine is used. Also, I marinated the meat overnight vice just a few hours, so next time I'll limit the time the onion has to permeate the meat, as the meat had a very distinct onion flavor. It tasted fine, though. Thanks.