Recipe by Evie*
This is a real favourite, I buy the beef filet when its on sale and freeze it just to make this recipe.
Top Review by JustJanS
We shared this tonight with our neighbours, and it was delicious. I didn't really read the recipe, and thought I could serve it hot-which I did. It was wonderful served with the mayo spooned over it, and gravy passed around. We ate it with roasted potatoes and root vegies, and steamed greens. I'm so glad there is left-over mayo!
- 2 filet of beef (about 3lb each)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives
Directions See How It's Made
- Tie beef with a string to hold together during cooking, and place in a shallow dish.
- Add red wine, oil, garlic, bay leaves, and onion; leave to marinate for several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour off 2 cups of the marinade and discard.
- Place beef in oven with remaining marinade and bake for about 1 1/4 hours or until cooked as desired.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, remove the string and roll in the cracked peppercorns.
- Horseradish Mayonnaise----------------------ð« .
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
- At serving time, slice beef and serve with the mayonnaise drizzled overtop.