Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy recipe. It was originally courtesy of Mario Batali, 2002. However, I have changed it around a bit and I like it better this way! Hope you will try it and like it too.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, sliced & cut into 1/2-inch dice
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 slices Italian bread
- Preheat the grill or broiler.
- In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat until almost smoking.
- Add the peppers and onion and saute over high heat 4 minutes, until browned at the edges and softened.
- Add the sherry vinegar, garlic, salt, & peppers to taste, reduce the heat to medium, and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, until peppers & onions are tender.
- Adjust the seasoning and set aside to cool.
- Grill each slice of bread on both sides until crusty and browned.
- Then top with peperonata and serve.