I first had this for dinner at the house of a good friend and it was delicious! That was at least 10 or more years ago and I still make it for my family and company, too.
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 lb lean round steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth (oxo or bouillon will do)
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 8 's
- Method: While rice is cooking, pound meat to 1/4" thickness.
- (I use sandwich steaks, inside or outside round as it eliminates the need for pounding.) Sprinkle meat with paprika and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients.
- Using a large skillet, brown meat in butter.
- Add garlic and broth and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in onions and green peppers.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Blend cornstarch, water and soy sauce.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring until clear and thickened- about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir gently.
- Serve over fluffy rice.