Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I first had this for dinner at the house of a good friend and it was delicious! That was at least 10 or more years ago and I still make it for my family and company, too.
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 lb lean round steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth (oxo or bouillon will do)
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 2 green peppers, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 8 's
- Method: While rice is cooking, pound meat to 1/4" thickness.
- (I use sandwich steaks, inside or outside round as it eliminates the need for pounding.) Sprinkle meat with paprika and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients.
- Using a large skillet, brown meat in butter.
- Add garlic and broth and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in onions and green peppers.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes more.
- Blend cornstarch, water and soy sauce.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring until clear and thickened- about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir gently.
- Serve over fluffy rice.
This is a really good recipe! Of course, I changed it just a little, lol... I added chopped regular onion to it because they give a lot of flavor, (but kept the green onion tops too), also added 1/4 tsp. of ginger, and after tasting, 2 tsps. sugar to the sauce portion because I like my pepper steak to have a little zing to it. We had the neighbors over to dinner, and there wasn't any left over. Thanks for the recipe, bert! :o)
Wonderful!!We all wanted more if this!!!Steak was tender and juicy.Sauce thickend up just perfect!!Instead of cutting into strips I left the steaks whole,I also used teryaki sauce for the soy sauce!!Great meal,I will make this again soon!Thanks a million!!!
bert, this was wonderful! I tried to stick to the recipe, but got carried away! Threw in a sliced red pepper and a dab of hoisin sauce. Absolutely delicious! Thanks, from me and my full stomach!