Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Coarsely ground peppercorns and chili flakes give some zing to sirloin steaks. These are accompanied by a bourbon cream sauce. From a book entitled "The Ultimate Cooking Course", 2003.
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 (6 -8 ounce) boneless sirloin or 4 (6 -8 ounce) filet mignon steaks, well trimmed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons Bourbon or 2 tablespoons scotch or 2 tablespoons beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- Combine peppercorns & hot pepper flakes and press onto both sides of steaks.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil with butter in a heavy frying pan (make sure that it will be large enough to accomodate the steaks in one layer).
- Add mushrooms to frying pan and cook over medium heat, stirring and turning them occasionally until they are wilted (approx 5 minutes).
- Increase the heat to med-high and continue cooking until the liquid from mushrooms have evaporated and they are lightly browned. With slotted spoon, remove them from the pan & reserve.
- Add remaining oil to frying pan. When hot, add the steaks.
- Fry until brown, about 2 min on each side. Continue cooking until desired degree of doneness is reached.
- Remove steaks from pan & keep hot.
- Pour off all fat from pan. Add alcohol or stock and bring to boil, stirring and scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Add cream & bring back to a boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Stir in mushrooms & reheat them. Check seasoning & then pour sauce over steaks to serve.
The pepper was a bit overwhelming for my husband and he waited until I cooked and served the meal to tell me he doesn't like mushrooms. The sauce was a bit runny but I thickened it up but still no go. I just didn't like this recipe.
Excellent steak recipe. I used a small rib eye steak. I took the liberty of omitting the whipping cream. After deglazing the pan with the cognac I put the steak & mushrooms back into the pan for 1 minute flipping the steak. The mushrooms & steak turned golden. The steak was a perfect pink inside.