Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This recipe was adopted from an old cookbook called Cooking for Two by Sue Russell. I love the flavour of this very quick and simple to prepare steak. I highly recommend that you use whole peppercorns that you crack yourself.
- 2 rib eye steaks, cut 1-inch thick (1/4 lb to 1/2 lb each)
- 3 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 ounces butter (1/4 cup or 1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peppercorns in a ziplock bag and crush coarsely with a rolling. Alternatively, you may use a mortar and pestle but you may have the pepper escaping as it's crushed.
- Press cracked pepper into both sides of steaks.
- In a heavy-based frying pan, heat butter and oil and cook steaks to desired doneness, turning once. (Medium-rare takes about 8 to 11 minutes, Medium takes about 12 to 14 minutes).
- Remove from pan and keep hot.
- Stir brandy into the pan juices and bring to a boil, scraping the sediment from pan.
- Remove from heat and add extra butter.
- Pour this sauce over the steaks and serve immediately.