Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomato, undrained
- minced garlic
- red wine (optional)
- Cook stew meat until brown in a little olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; sauté until vegetables are soft.
- Add tomatoes, red wine and seasonings (I use salt, garlic pepper, Tonys Creole seasoning, Tabasco garlic basting sauce, and Italian seasoning), and enough water to make the stew the desired consistency.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until meat reaches desired tenderness (I use extra-lean stew meat and simmer a long time).
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
This simple but very good! I'd never added tomatoes to pepper steak before. The red wine is a must. We added a cup of fresh mushrooms and garlic. It was cold and nasty oustide and this dish hit the spot.
I found this dish needed more flavor other than tomato. The tomato taste seemed to overpower all other flavors.