Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Provenance unknown. The cornstarch slurry can be skipped if the sauce is thick enough at the end of cooking.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 lbs beef shoulder, sliced into 1/2-inch x 3-inch strips
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 large green peppers, cut into strips
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Brown onion in oil. Add steak and brown over medium-high heat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 1 hour.
- Stir cornstarch into water. Add to pot and simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Serve over rice.