Recipe by Chandra M
One of my all time favorites. These have a similiar texture to shortbreads, but are not that sweet.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2⁄3 cup almonds or 2⁄3 cup walnuts, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, spices, salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter & brown sugar, add vanilla & lemon peel.
- On low speed, add 1/2 flour mixture, then the cream, then the other 1/2 flour mixture.
- Stir in nuts.
- Roll into 3/4" balls, put on ungreased cookie sheet 1" apart.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 350F, until the bottoms of cookies are golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool about 1 minute before transferring them off the baking sheet to cool.
- After cool, dust with powdered sugar if desired.