Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Dreamgoddess needed a pepper peach jelly for a recipe she wanted to try, but none could be found in our small town. This is what I came up with. Just remember that for hotter jelly, cut the habaneros in half so that the heat can escape better or add another whole pepper. For less heat, use peppers that are not quite as hot. For just plain peach jelly, leave off the pepper all together.
- 6 lbs peaches
- 3 whole habanero peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter or 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 box Sure-Jell
- Cut up peaches and discard pits.
- Place in large sauce pan with whole habenoros.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Strain through cheese cloth.
- This should produce 5 1/2 cups juice.
- May need to add a little water to accomplish this measurement.
- Pour exact amount of juice into 6-8 qt. saucepan.
- Measure exact amount of sugar into bowl and set aside.
- Stir in Sure Jell and 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar quickly.
- Return to a full rolling boil and boil for exactly 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim any foam off of top with a metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into jars which have been preheated.
- Be sure rims are clean and place lids and rings on jars; be sure they are very tight.
- Invert for 5 minutes, then set upright to cool.
Mmmmmm! Oh YUM! Ok, this kind of messed up the kitchen big time and made things sticky (that's my only complaint) - but I've never had jam like this before, and as far as I know the only way to have it is to make it yourself. I will make this again for certain. (on a day when I have friends who will agree to do the cleaning if I do the cooking)
Just finished making this, thank you for the clear and easy instructions. It's hasn't set up yet, but I got a sample from the spatula and this taste amazing. I used only 2 peppers and used a food mill with super fine strainer instead of cheese cloth...it worked great.
I was so excited and followed recipe exactly but my jelly didn't jell! What happened & what can I do? The smell is awesome, and a taste was amazing. Help!