Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
We like this as a sandwich spread. The amount of peppers is really a total of sweet and hot. You can make it hotter or milder by shifting the ratio. As written, it's moderately spicy. From The Joy of Pickling.
- 3 cups red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive pot. Bring mixture to a simmer, and simmer until it is thick, about 30 minutes.
- Ladle the relish into sterile pint or half-pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Close the jars with hot 2-piece caps, and process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry place.
This turned out great. I increased sweet peppers, using 4 cups of Bell, Gypsy & Sweet Banana, with 1/2 cup Anaheims since I didn't want it too hot. Only had 2 cups of white wine vinegar so used a cup of red wine vinegar. This set up in my bottles (5 half-pint jars) with some left over. I ate that next day on my melted cheese tortilla. Delicious. I will make this every year now. Thanks Diane.