Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Vintage recipe from "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking" Cookbook.
Make and share this Pepper Nuts Cookies (Pfeffernusse) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice berries (also known as Jamaican pepper) or 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond, ground
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied citron peel (optional)
- Sift first 6 ingredients, set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and piled softly.
- Add flour in thirds, mixing until well blended after each addition.
- Stir in chopped citron.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours.
- Roll dough 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface; cut with a 1 inch round cutter.
- Donut hole cutter works.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Put drop of brandy on each cutout cookie.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- 12- 15 minutes.
- Cool and store in a tightly covered container.
- If a softer cookie is desired, add a piece of apple to container when storing cookies.
- Makes about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Alternative procedure: One recipe says to cut out and place on cookie sheets and let stand overnight to dry.
- Bake next day.