1 hr 20 mins
Polar Bear's Note:
Vintage recipe from "Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking" Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice berries (also known as Jamaican pepper) or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup blanched almond, ground
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron peel (optional)
- 1Sift first 6 ingredients, set aside.
- 2Beat eggs and sugar until thick and piled softly.
- 3Add flour in thirds, mixing until well blended after each addition.
- 4Stir in chopped citron.
- 5Chill in refrigerator for several hours.
- 6Roll dough 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface; cut with a 1 inch round cutter.
- 7Donut hole cutter works.
- 8Place on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- 9Put drop of brandy on each cutout cookie.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees F.
- 1112- 15 minutes.
- 12Cool and store in a tightly covered container.
- 13If a softer cookie is desired, add a piece of apple to container when storing cookies.
- 14Makes about 5 1/2 dozen cookies.
- 15Alternative procedure: One recipe says to cut out and place on cookie sheets and let stand overnight to dry.
- 16Bake next day.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pepper Nuts Cookies (Pfeffernusse)
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.8
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 44.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: