Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a collection of recipes for covered dishes entitled "Just As I Ham" by Jane and Mark Jarrell. The actual recipe is credited to Charlotte Hislop, First Baptist Church, West Monroe, La. The "nuts" are really good! The recipe makes 4 dozen, and they're easy to make, too! The number of servings is a guess - all I know is that they always go quickly!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened to room temperature (NOT margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Cream butter and eggs until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mix well.
- Form long, finger-size rolls and wrap in wax paper.
- Chill for several hours.
- Slice into 1/2 inch slices and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes until light brown.