Prep 2 mins
Cook 17 mins
Cheesy, tomatoey and with a bit of a kick! Add a bit of diced jalepeno or extra pepperjack cheese if you want to heat this up a notch.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- Cook noodles, drain and return to pot.
- Over low heat, stir in milk and both cheeses; stir until melted. Cheese sauce will be stringy.
- Add tomatoes and stir thoroughly; sauce should smooth out. Season with pepper to taste.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This was great! It was so easy and inexpensive to prepare. The flavor combos are just right. This one is a lifelong keeper for me.
I thought this was a nice tasting recipe. My husband wasn't so crazy about it. I did use fresh tomatoes as I have so many to be used and I think they added a nice fresh taste. I increased the milk a little bit to compensate for the missing juice with the tomatoes. The color of the sauce is great! I added in the herbs and spices. I think fresh basil would be amazing in this. I also think that making a roux first and then adding the milk and cheese (regular cheese sauce with different cheeses) would give a creamier sauce. However, for the amount of time this takes it is great and I think it would be a good thing to have in the recipe box for a last minute weeknight meal. Thanks for posting your recipe. Reviewed for Fall PAC 2007.