Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Family Circle All-Time Favorite Recipes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 jalapeno chiles, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold Crisco shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F; grease three 5-stick cactus molds or a standard 12-muffin pan.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over med-high heat; add in the bell pepper, green onion, and jalapeño.
- Decrease heat to med-low; stir/sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are very tender; remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the milk and egg until blended.
- Stir milk mixture, vegetables, and cheese into the flour mixture until just blended.
- Divide batter equally into cactus molds or muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in molds on a rack for 10 minutes; remove from molds and serve warm.