Recipe by Kana K.
A good crunchy mac salad with a little kick to it.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I wanted to love this salad. It is easy to prepare and it is very colorful. I thought the taste, however, was a bit bland. I used the tomatillo salsa, but I was able to find it in medium heat because we prefer the kick (the store did not have chipotle, which I might have preferred). I think the salad as is, needs a little dressing up. Definitely a significant amount of salt and pepper, more red wine vinegar. Since I have a lot left over, I might experiment with our individual portions, such as adding sriracha or even possibly Dijon, to give it more of the flavor I'm looking for.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 cup tomatillo salsa (mild, green) or 1 cup chipotle salsa (hot, smoky red)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped or 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil, salt it and add pasta.
- While pasta water is coming up to a boil and cooking, combine corn, pepper, onion and celery in a bowl with pepper Jack cheese. Season the veggies with salt and pepper.
- Run pasta under cold water to cool it and drain it well. Add pasta to vegetables and cheese.
- Place vinegar in a small bowl and whisk in extra-virgin olive oil, then fold in salsa. Pour sauce over salad and toss to coat evenly. Garnish salad with cilantro or parsley and serve.