Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A spicy twist on mac & cheese - delicious! I found this in the Sunday paper, in a Carnation ad. We really enjoy this variation when we want an extra zip with our mac & cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- After draining macaroni, stir in the cheddar cheese, 1 1/2 c Pepper Jack cheese, evaporated milk, and black pepper with the macaroni.
- Pour macaroni and cheese into prepared dish and sprinkle with 1/2 c Pepper Jack cheese, tortilla chip pieces, and the cayenne pepper.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
This is very easy to put together-no white sauce to make! And it is easliy reduced by half, so we aren't eating leftover mac n' cheese for a week :) I left out the cayenne, but will try it next time.
YUMMMMM! What a great mac and cheese recipe! I loved the combination of cheeses and the subtle heat from the cayenne. I was out of tortilla chips, so I didnt use them, but next time Im making this, Ill definitely add them, too.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper, starry!
Made and reviewed for your win in the Sun and Spice Event February 2013.
I enjoyed this mac and cheese. I halved the recipe and used a cheddar/Jack cheese blend. I liked the tortilla chips in it. Thanks starrynews! Made for Vegetarian Swap-July 2011.