Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A side for your next fish fry.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- vegetable oil or peanut oil (for deep frying)
- jalapeno jelly or marmalade
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in cheese, green onion and hot pepper sauce. In small bowl, lightly mix eggs and buttermilk together. Add to cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Prepare heavy, deep saucepan, skillet or electric deep fryer. If using pan or skillet, pour in oil to depth of at least 2 inches. Follow instructions with deep fryer for oil depth. Heat oil to 360°F
- Drop in hushpuppies by tablespoons-full in batches. Do not crowd. Fry until puppies rise to surface and brown—about 2-3 minutes. Remove from fat and drain on paper towels. While hot, serve with jalapeno jelly.