Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A restaurant near my house makes this soup daily, and I've never seen anything remotely close to this recipe anywhere else. I've been tweaking this and think I have it just about right.
- 1 cup raw potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 6 ounces crab, don't drain
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 lb imitation crabmeat
- In 2 quart saucepan, combine potatoes, celery and water. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large soup pot. Add onion and simmer for 5 minutes. Onions should be translucent but not browned. Add flour and stir until smooth and thick.
- Slowly stir in milk and crab juice from the can.
- Add cooked potatoes, celery and watery to the pot. Boil for one minute.
- Slowly add cheese, crab, and imitation crab.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.