Recipe by rickoholic83
Courtesy of Everyday With Rachael Ray. (Cook time does not include the time it takes for dough to rise.)
Top Review by SweetsLady
These were superb!! Well, worth the wait of the homemade bread. I made recipe #12818 to go on it. The smell of this is intoxicating! We had this with recipe #247337 tonight. Thank you so much for posting this! It will go in my favorites!
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 large eggs
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 6 slices each
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, the buttermilk and sugar. Stir in yeast and set aside.
- Using a food processor, pulse the remaining 2 3/4 cups flour, the butter and 1 tsp salt until pea-size crumbs form, 15-30 seconds.
- Add 1 cup cheese and the roasted red pepper and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add 2 eggs and the reserved buttermilk mixture and pulse until dough comes together to form a ball, about 30 seconds.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and, with floured hands, knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pat the dough into a 4 x 8-inch rectangle. Working from the long side, roll up the dough and transfer to a greased 9-inch loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Beat the remaining egg with 1 tsp salt and brush the mixture on the loaf.
- Bake until golden, about 45 minutes, tenting the bread with foil if it starts to get too dark. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a large skillet, cook the chorizo over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Cut off 4 thick bread slices and toast, turning once, under the broiler.
- Spread with mayonnaise on 1 side and place on a baking sheet.
- Top the toasts with 3 tomato slices each, the chopped chorizo and the remaining 1 cup cheese; season with salt.
- Broil until the chesse melts.