Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Big pepper flavor! I love freshly cracked black pepper so this is perfect for me. I have to back off the pepper a bit for my son's steak, though---just too much pepper for him. So adjust to suit your own taste. -adapted from License to Grill
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 (8 ounce) tuna steaks, at least 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Make the butter: Combine butter, garlic, lemon juice and parsley and mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another small bowl, combine the salt and pepper and mix well. Press the tuna steaks into the mixture and coat on all sides; drizzle tuna lightly with olive oil.
- Grill over a medium-hot fire for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare, depending on thickness.
- Serve with a large spoonful on the butter on top of each steak.
I don't know how anyone could stand to eat so much pepper!! I did not use what was listed.. I simply cracked pepper on top of the steaks with a pepper-mill and patted the pepper in. I also squeezed a little lemon on top as I was cooking the steaks for extra flavor. I did not have any parsley for the butter, so I added some Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I served the tuna with Minute Rice. I put garlic powder and pepper into the water as it was boiling. When the rice was done, I squeezed a little more lemon juice into it. I put the tuna on top of the rice on a plate, and let the butter melt all over the steak and rice. DELICIOUS!
We found tuna steaks on sale at the local market and brought them home, unsure of the best way to prepare the fish. After searching the internet for other recipes, we picked this one for its simplicity and the availability of its ingredients. We weren't disappointed! The only thing I would change is to cut down on the amount of salt used -- probably about one half of what's recommended here.
I love salt and pepper on my food, yet this was way to salty and had no flavor. The butter sauce did not add any addition flavor either.