Keep the heat out of the kitchen this summer! These pepper grilled scallops taste fantastic! Toss them on to a bed of salad greens and veggies and you have a nice light summer dish! They are surprisingly easy to make. Simply, throw some peppercorns on the grill -- and you will have interesting new aromas to sample. Revised recipe from Andrea Viestad's Food for Summer. Adjusted cooking time per recent review.
- Preheat your gas or charcoal grill to a hot to medium hot level. You want your fire to be just under the hot level but not to the medium hot level yet.
- Meanwhile, allow your scallops to come to room temp while your prepare the vinaigrette.
- Combine the vinegar, honey, mustard, and oil in a bowl and whisk together with a fork. If it does not whisk together well just pop it into the microwave for about 30 seconds. Warming makes the honey mix more easily with the other ingredients.
- Pour half the vinaigrette into a small serving bowl. Set aside. Toss the scallops with the remaining vinaigrette, remove them from the bowl, and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- The grilling has to be done very quickly. Grill the scallops for a minute or two on one side then throw the black peppercorns onto the hottest part of the fire. Allow the scallops to cook for about 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Turn the scallops and allow them to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on this side, then remove them and serve immediately using the remaining vinaigrette as a salad dressing for the greens.
- NOTE: You could do the same with shrimp or half shrimp and half scallops.
- One MORE NOTE: Please allow your ingredients to warm up to room temp before placing on the grill for more accurate cooking times. Thanks!