Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
Keep the heat out of the kitchen this summer! These pepper grilled scallops taste fantastic! Toss them on to a bed of salad greens and veggies and you have a nice light summer dish! They are surprisingly easy to make. Simply, throw some peppercorns on the grill -- and you will have interesting new aromas to sample. Revised recipe from Andrea Viestad's Food for Summer. Adjusted cooking time per recent review.
Top Review by momaphet
We really enjoyed the grilled scallops. The bite of the pepper with the light flavor of the mustard was nice. The extra vinaigrette on the cooked scallops wasn't really to our taste. I used medium sized scallops on a medium heat level gas grill and they took about 10 minutes. Thanks for posting this one Hope! Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT 6
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 24 large scallops
- sea salt, fine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges (optional)
- salad greens (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your gas or charcoal grill to a hot to medium hot level. You want your fire to be just under the hot level but not to the medium hot level yet.
- Meanwhile, allow your scallops to come to room temp while your prepare the vinaigrette.
- Combine the vinegar, honey, mustard, and oil in a bowl and whisk together with a fork. If it does not whisk together well just pop it into the microwave for about 30 seconds. Warming makes the honey mix more easily with the other ingredients.
- Pour half the vinaigrette into a small serving bowl. Set aside. Toss the scallops with the remaining vinaigrette, remove them from the bowl, and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- The grilling has to be done very quickly. Grill the scallops for a minute or two on one side then throw the black peppercorns onto the hottest part of the fire. Allow the scallops to cook for about 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Turn the scallops and allow them to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on this side, then remove them and serve immediately using the remaining vinaigrette as a salad dressing for the greens.
- NOTE: You could do the same with shrimp or half shrimp and half scallops.
- One MORE NOTE: Please allow your ingredients to warm up to room temp before placing on the grill for more accurate cooking times. Thanks!